Yale Class of 1959 Mini-Reunion Boston Tuesday, May 29 – Friday, June 1, 2012
Dear Members of Yale ’59 and Friends,
Following a successful mini-reunion in Chicago last September, we have decided to have another in Boston next May. Why wait until 2014 for our next reunion?
The plan is to enjoy Memorial Day weekend at home and travel to Boston on Tuesday May 29.
Highlights will include:
• A cocktail reception on May 29 at the Millennium Bostonian Hotel. Enjoy dinner on your own at the hotel or at one of the many restaurants in and around Faneuil Hall Marketplace;
• A discussion at historic Faneuil Hall with Harvard experts on the nature of the Revolution and why democracy succeeded in the colonies but struggles elsewhere;
• A tour through the universe in the new planetarium at the Museum of Science, one of the most technologically advanced digital theaters in the world;
• A docent-led tour of the new Art of the Americas wing at the Museum of Fine Arts;
• A symposium on health care, tapping into the resources of Boston's acclaimed medical community;
• A presentation by Yale professor Murray Biggs of "Actors at Work - Exploring a Scene from Shakespeare" at the Boston Athenaeum, a bibliophile’s paradise and one of the oldest and most delightful buildings in Boston.
• Cocktails overlooking Boston Harbor (or watching the sharks) at the New England Aquarium followed by a clam bake and lobster dinner;
• Cocktails and a class dinner at the Somerset Club, the creakiest of Boston’s grand clubs, built in 1819 as the home of the richest man in New England;
• Unstructured play-period; and
• The Whiffenpoofs.
These are the current plans in what is a work-in-progress. We are trying to keep the cost in the range of $750/ per person for all activities and entertainment, not including the hotel or transportation to Boston.
We have reserved a block of rooms at The Millennium Bostonian Hotel, a renovated midsized hotel in the heart of Boston’s Faneuil Hall Marketplace and within walking distance of the harbor and many of our events. The rate is $199 per night. The hotel has a limited number of rooms at this rate for the weekends before and after our reunion in case you want more time to enjoy the Boston area. Please contact the hotel directly (617) 557-3650 or (800) 343-0922 and ask for the Yale Class of 1959 room block.
We will ask for a commitment in January.
On behalf of our committee – Woody Ives, Fred Lovejoy, Frank Porter, and Honorary Member Charley Ellis,
Joe Staley Austin Hoyt
Class Secretary Boston Reunion Chairman